Build Plumb Plastics stock a wide range of covers for manholes & PPIC inspection chambers as well as gully grates from a range of leading suppliers including Polypipe, Clark Drain and other specialist manufacturers and fabricators. Our manhole covers are available in a wide range of materials and weight loading classes to suit almost all applications.
Manhole Cover Weight Loading Capacity
Under BS EN 124:2015 access covers and gully grates are graded into different classes, ranging from A15 lighty duty covers up to F900. It it is essential that the right class of cover is selected to suit it’s application, otherwise, if the loading is wrong, the covers or gratings are likely to become damaged and could become dangerous.
Our heavy duty manhole covers are designed for B125 and C250 load ratings. If you need a price on covers for heavier duty applications, please contact us for a quotation on 01255 258 525.
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3||Group 4||Group 5||Group 6|
Replacement Manhole Covers
We get lots of enquiries with customers who have got a cracked manhole cover after it’s been driven over by a delivery vehicle.
Whilst sourcing and installing a replacement should be a fairly simple job, it is critical that you select the lid which is made for the frame, to maintain the structural integrity and weight loading of the unit. It is therefore likely that you will need to replace the whole cover and frame together, unless the lid you are replacing was installed fairly recently.
Measuring the ManholeAll manhole covers, regardless of make or size, are measured using the size of the manhole or inspection chamber below, and not the size of the frame or the lid which sits on top. To find the correct replacement lid, you will need to measure the distance from the inside one wall of the manhole to the opposite side, or the diameter of the plastic inspection chamber (usually 450mm).
Installing the new Cover and Frame
To install the replacement cover you will need to remove the concrete or tarmac around the old frame, level and bed-in the new frame, then backfill around the new frame, and install the cover.
If you are covering a plastic inspection chamber which is deeper than 1.2m, you will also need to fit a reducing ring to reduce the opening to 350mm, to comply with building regulations.
Recessed Manhole Covers
Recessed chamber covers can be used internally or externally to keep a continuous floor finish, to maintain access to the drainage system without compromising on aesthetics.
Our range of heavy duty gulley grates can be used for road and yard gullIes to prevent debris from entering the drainage system, whilst still allowing water to drain away.
- What are manhole covers?Manhole covers are removable lids or covers used to secure access points to underground utility and drainage systems. They are typically installed on manholes, which are vertical chambers or shafts that provide access for maintenance, inspection, and repair of underground infrastructure.
- What materials are commonly used for manhole covers?Manhole covers are commonly made from materials such as cast iron, ductile iron, steel, concrete, and composite materials. The choice of material depends on factors such as load-bearing requirements, durability, and the specific application.
- What are the different types of manhole covers?There are various types of manhole covers available, including solid covers, covers with ventilation holes or slots, recessed covers, locking covers for added security, and covers with special features like anti-slip surfaces or load-bearing capabilities.
- What is the purpose of manhole covers?Manhole covers serve multiple purposes, including providing access for maintenance and inspection of underground utility systems, preventing unauthorized entry or accidental falls, and protecting the infrastructure from debris, water, and environmental factors.
- Are manhole covers standardized in terms of size and load-bearing capacity?Yes, manhole covers are typically standardized based on size and load-bearing capacity. Different regions may have specific standards and regulations governing the dimensions, load ratings, and installation requirements for manhole covers.
- How do I choose the right manhole cover?When selecting a manhole cover, factors such as anticipated load requirements (pedestrian or vehicular traffic), location (roadway, sidewalk, or green area), material durability, and compliance with local regulations should be considered.
- Are manhole covers designed to be tamper-proof or theft-resistant?Manhole covers are often designed to deter tampering and theft. Some covers feature locking mechanisms or anti-theft devices to prevent unauthorized access and ensure the security of underground infrastructure.
- Are manhole covers durable and resistant to environmental conditions?Manhole covers are designed to withstand environmental factors such as heavy loads, weathering, corrosion, and chemical exposure. The choice of material and quality of construction contribute to the durability and longevity of the covers.
- Do manhole covers require maintenance?Manhole covers generally require minimal maintenance. Regular inspections to ensure they are securely in place, free from damage or wear, and properly aligned with the manhole frame are recommended. Cleaning debris from the cover and frame is also important to maintain functionality.
- Are there any regulations or standards for manhole covers?Local regulations, building codes, and standards dictate the requirements for manhole covers, including load-bearing capacities, dimensions, and safety features. Compliance with these regulations is essential to ensure proper installation and safe operation of manhole covers.