MDPE Water & Gas Pipe and Fittings
Build Plumb Plastics supply PE80 MDPE water pipe (Alkathene) in diameters including 20mm, 25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm and 63mm, in coil lengths of 25m, 50m, 100m and 150mtrs. Our pipe and fittings are WRAS approved and conform to BS EN 12201.
We stock MDPE in blue, black and yellow. Blue is for potable (drinking) water, black (pumping main) is primarilly for non-potable water i.e. seawater, pumped foul, riser main & grey water, yellow mdpe is exclusively for gas supply pipe. Large coils maybe subject to extended lead-times.
Blue MDPE water supply pipe is used for connections between the distribution mains to individual properties and for above ground services if the pipes are installed within protective ducts. Blue MDPE should not be used for the conveyance of gases, oil, petrol, diesel or compressed air. The system is suitable for use with cold potable water with a working pressure of up to 12.5 bar.
We offer a full range of fittings that conform to WIS 4-32-11. They are adaptable for fitment to Polyethylene, Lead, Copper, Pvc and Galvanised Iron.
We also offer a Barrier MDPE Pipe and fittings system. Barrier Pipe is also known as Trigon, Protecta-Line and Polyguard to name but a few. It is Polyethylene pressure pipe with an aluminium barrier layer for potable water in contaminated land, otherwise known as brownfield sites.It complies with BS6920 water quality testing and approved under regulation 31 of the water supply(water quality) Regulations 2000.
If you can't find a product you are looking for, please do not hesitate to email or call us.
- What does MDPE stand for?MDPE stands for Medium Density Polyethylene. It is a type of plastic pipe that is commonly used for gas and water supply in the UK. It is known for its durability, flexibility, and resistance to corrosion and chemicals.
- Is MDPE safe for drinking water?Yes, MDPE (medium-density polyethylene) pipe is safe for drinking water. It is commonly used for water supply and distribution systems, and has been approved by regulatory agencies for use in contact with drinking water. However, it is important to ensure that the MDPE pipe you are using is certified for use with drinking water and meets all necessary standards and regulations.
- How long does MDPE last?MDPE pipes are designed to last for up to 50 years, depending on the specific application and conditions. However, proper installation and maintenance can also affect the lifespan of the pipe. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines and have regular inspections to ensure the longevity of the MDPE pipe.
- What is the difference between blue and black MDPE?The main difference between blue and black MDPE pipes is their intended use. Blue MDPE is typically used for potable water supply, while black MDPE is used for non-potable water, such as irrigation or wastewater. Additionally, blue MDPE is often used in underground applications, while black MDPE is more commonly used above ground.
- What are the advantages of MDPE pipe?MDPE (medium-density polyethylene) pipe has several advantages over other types of piping materials. It is lightweight, flexible, and easy to install. It is also resistant to corrosion, chemicals, and UV rays, making it ideal for use in a variety of applications, including gas and water distribution, irrigation, and sewage systems. Additionally, MDPE pipe has a long lifespan and requires minimal maintenance, making it a cost-effective choice for many projects.
- Which is better, HDPE or MDPE?HDPE is generally considered to be better than MDPE for most applications. HDPE has a higher density and is more rigid, making it stronger and more durable. It is also more resistant to chemicals and UV radiation. However, MDPE is more flexible and has better impact resistance, making it a better choice for some applications. Ultimately, the choice between HDPE and MDPE will depend on the specific needs of your project.
- Can MDPE pipe be used underground?Yes, the MDPE pipe can be used underground. In fact, it is commonly used for underground gas and water supply lines due to its durability and resistance to corrosion. However, it is important to ensure that the MDPE pipe is installed correctly and meets all necessary safety standards.